Monday 27 February 2012

Frittata will make you a little less fatta

Fantastic as a low carb alternative to pizza, quiche or sandwiches!  First off, I am not an egg lover, nor am I a huge fan of protein, carb addicted that's me. However yesterday Em was home from work and we were in need of something substantial but syn free for lunch so I decided to give frittata a whirl.  Result! We had it warm for lunch with salad.  Would have been equally lovely with new potatoes and some veg for dinner.  But the absolutely fantastic thing about frittata is that it would make the most perfect packed lunch - I had a slice left that I wrapped and put in the fridge and this morning have had that as breakfast and it was delicious, the ultimate finger food.  In fact if you are having drinks and need something tasty and syn free to eat with your drinks it would be perfect as once its cold you can cut it into delicate little bite-sized pieces without it falling apart.

No pics I'm afraid as it's all gone but here's the recipe I used:
1 large onion thinly sliced
frozen peas - I am approaching this from an SW perspective not strict no carbs, so change to suit your needs!
frozen sweetcorn
4 eggs
salt, pepper
smoked paprika
60g of cheese - Em and I shared our cheese allowance, but if you are on your own just eat half one day and half the next using your cheese as your healthy A choice!

Spray a sauce pan with fry light, fry the onion until soft, stir in the peas and sweetcorn.  Add the seasoning.

Line a baking dish with greaseproof paper.  Pour the onion mix in.  In a jug beat 4 eggs and add 3/4 of the cheese.  Pour over the onion mix.  Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.  Baked in the oven at 200 degrees for around 20 mins - it puffs up and browns, just check the middle is set!

Serve warm or allow to cool and slice.  If I was planning in advance I would use spring onion rather than a regular onion which would mean no frying, so even quicker and less washing up!  Thinking this would be lovely made with bacon and leek, or smoked salmon and loads of chives, I'd add peppers, courgette and sweet potato too, or cold diced regular potato would be great to bulk it out.  Do not stint with the seasoning - 4 eggs need all the help they can get, in my book!
Enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds lovely. I went to a slimming world class and got given all the bumph and I couldn't make head nor tail of it. I don't get how you can eat so much and lose weight and I didn't understand the red and green days. It would be fab if you could do a blog post on an idiots guide to slimming world :) Jude xx @jadlgw

    PS: In future could you please take a moment to photograph your food before you tuck in :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I will try to remember, I toyed with the idea of posting a pic of the ravaged remains but thought better of it!

      I am no Slimming World guru but there are a few basic "rules" that seem to do the trick so yes I will happily put together a bit of a guide, the website is a great resource too. xx

      Delete

Would love to hear from you, I always read comments and reply and I love not feeling like I am talking to myself! dx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...