Thursday 2 February 2012

Tom Ford Burnished Amber v NYX Singles

After Karla suggested that I might get on quite well with Tom Ford Burnished Amber quad I decided to have a look at Google images.  Of course pretty much the first site I ended up on was this one, weird that!  Having just discovered an absolute love of warm eye shadows I was instantly smitten and Karla's gorgeous photos were just making things worse tbh.  Did a big more googling, found some more images, lust turned to love and I knew then that the Tom Ford quad had to be mine.

Then I Googled it with a view to purchase. Sixty Two quid!!! Seriously, 62 fine English pounds.  Dear Mr Ford are you having a laugh?  I know that quality costs and that the aspirational value of your products knows no bounds but sweet baby Jesus there is no way on god's green earth I am parting with £62 for four eye shadows, even if you licked each one yourself.


But I am a half full kind of a girl and what do half full girls do when faced with an impossible purchase?  Why they find a dupe of course!  Even if it takes them hours and hours. And hours and hours.

Lots of lovely ladies suggested that MAC Cranberry would be just the shade I needed to bring out the red in Chanel Ebloui.  I had no idea what that looked like so I googled it and interestingly enough found several blog posts that compared MAC Cranberry to NYX Rust.  A bit of further reading and it  seemed that NYX gets a lot of love.  Having decided that NYX Rust would be a suitable replacement for MAC Cranberry and having realised that NYX has getting on for seven trillion eye shadows I wondered if perhaps I could put together four eye shadows that would match in colour, if not in quality, the Burnished Amber quad.
Top Row - thank you Klara for letting me use this.


















                              NYX Rust




Bottom Row - again thanks to Klara
NYX - Red Bean Pie

NYX - Walnut Bronze


Now we all know the quality isn't likely to be close and the colours might not be exact but, but, but - it's pretty darn close!  

Whilst I was doing this I did notice that there is a trio from NYX that has Rust, Golden and Walnut Bronze in it and this costs £7 so with the addition of Red Bean Pie for £4.50 you could get the whole lot for £11.50!!  That said looking at the fantastic NYX swatches here I think Walnut is warmer than Walnut Bronze and might be closer - what do you think?  Again on these swatches Red Bean Pie looks closer than it does in the image above, where it looks a little too purple.

There is no way round this, I am going to have to do an NYX order and see what I get.  If you look at the swatches and come up with something you think might be closer to any of these please let me know!!
Many, many thanks to Klara for kind permission to use her wonderful images. 

Completely forgot to put the NYX on line store link on this post so here it is - have spent many a happy lunch break browsing since I found this!

 

4 comments:

  1. Wow, amazing link for swatches. If you do order the NYX eyeshadows I'd love to hear your thoughts on the quality. Blendability is the most important thing for me, I'm rubbish at blending so I need all the help I can get. If they're good I think I could go for a lot of those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have every intention of purchasing, OH has put me on a spending ban so I have to explain that he is stifling my creativity with his penny pinching! Have just realised didn't include NYX online store link in post so rectifying that too - nice way to while away some time browsing their website! Thanks for the comment x

      Delete
  2. You could definitely see your expertise in the paintings you write. The sector hopes for even more passionate writers such as you who are not afraid to say how they believe. At all times go after your heart.
    Women's Winter Cowhide Leather Mitten

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its like you read my mind! You appear to know so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with a few pics to drive the message home a bit, but instead of that, this is great blog. An excellent read. I'll definitely be back.
    La Canadienne Women's Felicia Boot

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you, I always read comments and reply and I love not feeling like I am talking to myself! dx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...